Thursday, August 16, 2012

"Perfection is not required for results"

I was on MFP (the website that I log my eating) and sometimes I will see what the featured blog posts are for that day or whatever, and one looked particularly interesting.  It basically said that you need to get over yourself.  Everyone has a bad day, everyone misses a workout but it is how you respond to that which matters.  You have choices in life -- if you are going to eat a "bad" meal or if you aren't or to workout.  You don't always make the right choices, but that doesn't mean that you aren't on track to accomplish what you want.  As humans, we are going to go off course and stumble.  What is important is that we don't stop.  That we keep pushing towards our goals and desires.  We won't get there tomorrow, but guess what?  We will get there eventually.  This hit home to me today because I missed my workout yesterday and I plan to make up for it on Friday (my "rest" day).  But the fact that I don't let missing one day deter me from missing today too is what really matters.  I know that I am one who will give up if I am not perfect.  I don't feel as good about what I accomplish when it isn't 100% perfect.  However - weight loss and getting healthy isn't like that.  I don't know anyone who is perfect at it.  For instance, my sister has lost 100 lbs.  However, she still will slip up and eat fast food or something like that.  She will miss workouts or not give it all 100% in one.  However, she doesn't just give up.  She keeps going and finds it in her to just move forward.  I feel like that is where I am getting.  When I think about my food choices lately, again, I'm pretty proud of myself.  I have eaten what I like and what is healthy.  On my 30th birthday, I went out for Mexican and enjoyed it.  I told myself that you only turn 30 once and if there is something I really want then go for it.  However, the old days that means a ton of cheese covered nachos and chips and a ton of guacamole but this time it was less chips, a hard taco, and a chicken and cheese quesadilla (smaller sized).  I still ate what I wanted, but what I actually wanted had changed.  I even skipped my loved Mr. Pibb/Dr. Pepper for Diet Coke.  Again, it was what I wanted.  

On a similar note, I started doing Insanity as I had mentioned before.  It really kicks my ass and makes you sweat and move and jump and get up and down and its just crazy.  So when I started it I  expected to start seriously dropping weight - I eat around 1200 cals a day and was burning almost that same amount five days a week.  But it didn't happen.  Needless to say, I got rather frustrated but kept going and figured at some point the scale would reflect a loss.  I also noticed some of my clothes fitting differently and I am pretty sure if I keep this up I will need to invest in a belt.  In fact, I might get one this weekend since my jeans are already getting pretty loose.  However, I digress.  Yesterday I stepped on the scale and had over a 3 lb loss.  Then today I did it again (after not working out last night) and had an additional half pound loss.  I figure if I keep up this schedule I should be hitting a big milestone in the next month - 50 lb loss (aka halfway there).  I am already down in my pantsize and I have a goal pair I want to fit in to this fall.  They are probably a month or 6 weeks away from fitting (I guess) but I try them on once a week to see my progress.  I bought them in 2007 and was not able to wear them then - I think I squeezed myself in them once.  My goal is to make them my favorite jeans for this fall/winter.  I mean, I am in shock that I am almost where I was five years ago and plan to get under that.  

Well, hope whoever reads this enjoys - and keeps on pushing!


No comments:

Post a Comment