Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Getting Back on Track

Starting a blog about a personal journey is a little scary, but I feel like it will give me some accountability and will be a place that I can look back on when I'm needing some extra encouragement and new ideas.

Let me start with what really got me on board with reinventing myself.  First of all, I have a younger sister, Courtney, and over the last year she has lost about 70 lbs and is incredibly fit.  I have watched her change and adapt to a different lifestyle and she has been very inspiring and encouraging.  Also, over the last few months I have had some health issues that were not preventable, but I realized that I needed to make some changes.

So, I'm starting off pretty easily - I'm going to maintain a 1500 calorie/day goal and going to walk for an hour 3-5 times per week.  Also, I'm going to TRY to blog about what I have done everyday.  Since we moved to the country, the hour walk is really pretty and if I want to walk laps, then I have a good set up to do that in our neighborhood as well.  Also, something that worked for me before was logging my food.  This made a HUGE difference.  You don't realize how much things add up when you don't keep track -- a soda here and a piece of candy there really make a big difference.  I use the website MyFitnessPal to help keep me on track with what I'm eating and logging my exercise as well.  They have a lot of caloric values for pre-entered food so you can pretty much search the website and find what you are eating.  Also, they have an app on the Droid and Apple Store that will allow you to scan the barcode of something and automatically enter it for you.  So cool! 

Also, I'm going to make the effort to eat as cleanly as possible.  As someone who's lifestyle at some points requires eating on the go, I'm going to have to really think ahead.  Instead of getting some fries at McDonalds, I need to pack some baby carrots or grapes or something like that.  If I do eat out, I got the Eat This, Not That fast food book so I can make healthy decisions.  

Additionally, I'm doing this with my family.  I find that this change is easiest when you have people on the journey with you.  As I mentioned, my sister is already well on her way and my mom has decided to join in the fun.  We can plan meals together, walk together, get encouragement from each other and just have someone to talk to about it.

Every post is going to end with the song I am listening to as I blog and what I am having for dinner.  Also, from time to time I may add in things about politics and beauty -- my two real loves.  Please feel free to send me healthy recipes and ideas on how to keep it going.  Or share your journey - I like getting ideas from others!

Current Song:  Over You - Miranda Lambert
Dinner: Something with grilled chicken (subject to change)

No comments:

Post a Comment